Some Technical Background (for those who are interested)
Here is how the Genealogy News Gadget works:
- The elves at GenealogyInTime Magazine continuously scan the internet 24/7 collecting RSS feeds from 300+ genealogy websites.
- All the RSS feeds are tagged and fed into a massive hopper. They are then filtered for the usual stuff (bad words, political and religious commentary, overt sales pitches, blatant spam, etc.).
- The filtered feeds go into a second hopper to filter out other (less obvious) stuff. This would include such things as writing titles in all capital letters (equivalent to yelling on the internet) and malformed html and xml formats (which can potentially hide malicious code).
- At the repeated request of our readers, we judiciously added a third hopper to filter entries that are unfortunately just too narrow in scope and not of interest to a wide audience. These entries usually have no news or broad information content. A typical example would be a memorial blog post about a specific ancestor.
- The filtered results are balanced by source and content and then sorted by timestamp.
- The results are then continuously streamed in real time by the Genealogy News Gadget and the Genealogy Toolbar to your desktop or mobile device. The most recent news items are listed first.
- The Genealogy News Gadget usually holds about one day’s worth of information (more than one day during typically slower periods such as the summertime and major holidays).
Get Your Website/Blog Noticed
GenealogyInTime Magazine is the fifth largest free genealogy website in the world according to Alexa, the internet traffic source. People like our website because we are independent and we provide valuable, honest information. We are also much more than just an online magazine. It also helps that we are free.
Contact us if you would like your website/blog to be considered for the Genealogy News Gadget. It can be a great way to attract new readers to your website/blog. Before you send us an email, however, please make sure you have done the following:
- Make sure you have a properly functioning RSS feed.
- Make sure it is 100% about genealogy.
- You don’t have to publish every day. A couple of times a month is fine.
- Check the Genealogy News Gadget on the day you publish a story. We may already have you covered.
You can contact us at email@example.com Please include a link to your website/blog.