The Top Ten Free Genealogy Websites
This year, we saw something interesting that we have never seen before with our top ten free genealogy websites. Two new (or at least relatively new) websites made it on the list. Usually, it takes several years for free websites to become established, but not this year.
Below is our list of the top free genealogy websites.
• MooseRoots is a new website. It has leapfrogged into the number three position for free genealogy websites. They provide a powerful and free genealogy search engine. Definitely check it out. We also have to note that in the five years we have been compiling the Top 100 List, this is the first time we have seen a new free website launch so high onto the list. Congratulations!
• WikiTree at number four is another popular favorite. They provide a free family tree service. Their objective is to try to create a single worldwide family tree. When we talked about them last year, they had 240,000 genealogists who had contributed some 9 million ancestors to their tree. Now they have grown to over 300,000 users who have contributed close to 11 million ancestors to their tree.
• FamilyTreeNow at number five is also a relatively new website, having launched in the fall of 2014. They are a combination of a search engine and a family tree website. Also, very much worth checking out.
• We have talked about GEDMatch before, but this is the first time they have made our top ten free list at number six (last year they were a rising genealogy star). GEDMatch is a free website that provides the unique ability for people to compare and potentially match their DNA test results to other people. If you have done some DNA testing for your family then you should definitely check out this website.
• AncientFaces at number seven is a fun website. They specialize in sharing vintage photographs. Although there are now several genealogy websites that specialize in ancestral photographs, AncientFaces is one of the oldest having been around since the year 2000.
• Genwiki at number eight is a genealogy wiki from Germany. If you are from Germany and you are into genealogy or you have German ancestors then you definitely should consider Genwiki.
• USGenWeb Archives has also been around for a very long period of time. They have a huge group of volunteers who steadily and quietly add more and more free genealogy records online. The website is massive. Fortunately, all the records are organized by state, county and type of record. The records can also be searched using the free Genealogy Search Engine on our website.
• At number ten, we have RootsChat, a good old fashion genealogy forum from the UK. Forums at one time were very popular with genealogists, although they have quieted down somewhat recently. However, RootsChat continues to go strong and continues to serve the genealogy community. Well worth a visit if you have UK ancestors.